The newest entry is always at the top of the page


To read in the order that the entries were posted


START AT THE BOTTOM


Monday, March 21, 2011

Be nice; Or I will have my next fit in front of you!

The Medical profession has improved so much during my lifetime. I had a very good friend who, when he was a small boy had Scarlet fever which in turn brought on rheumatic fever, which can lead to potential heart problems. To my knowledge he is still alive and doing great. I cannot remember hearing (In the last few decades) of anyone having rheumatic fever.  It happens after someone has had streptococcal infection, which can be cured with modern day antibiotics, so perhaps gets 'nipped in the bud' before it becomes Scarlet fever.   Most of the kids of my age grew up having experienced the mumps, red measles, german measles, chicken pox, etc. We also grew up with the fear of polio. It actually ran rampant from 1950 – 55, and for myself personally, doctors in later years have suggested that I may have had a mild case of polio. The reason being is that one side of my chest is not developed as much as the other (it is hard to tell at a glance, but is true). The Doctors feel that I had a touch of polio in the one side, and it stopped growth for a short while. That may explain why, when I played baseball in 1954, I could hardly walk after each game – even though I had not run that much. If it was indeed polio! – I was very lucky. The word ‘iron lung’ was the worst thing a persons family could hear about their prognosis (next to death). Doctor Salk – thank you! “Polio”, although a crushing blow to the family, was not whispered - not like another devastating disease that today is still rampant. I remember watching the movie, Brighton Beach Memoirs (many times actually) – a Neil Simon play/movie. It takes place in pre-WWII New York, and the main actor, a young boy named Eugene says… ‘His aunt had ‘cancer’. He then explained that you never said ‘cancer’ out loud and always whispered it. Cancer – ooppppsssss. Sorry, ‘cancer’ was as much of an unknown when I was a child as it still seems to be today. So many years – will they ever be able to stop it? But, back then when people said someone else had the disease, they would lower their voice when saying ‘cancer’. I do not remember hearing of as many people (per capita) having cancer, but I guess one reason would be there were not many survivors, as they did not have the medical treatment of today to prolong their lives. So, today we do not whisper the word, but it is still one hell of a scary word to hear. Today, if anyone has a medical problem, one of the first questions people ask is – it’s not cancer, is it? I hope my Great Grand child will have some sort of a futuristic machine where she/he can keep a written journal, and mention cancer like I have mentioned polio – as a ‘has been’. With all these different afflictions that a child grew up with, or having the knowledge of – none seemed as bad (to a child - who lived in our town) as when a certain Lady would get upset with you and state “Be nice; or I will have my next fit in front of you!” She had epilepsy and she would know when she was going to have an attack (normal to call them ‘fits’ in those days). She would actually use this as a way of getting what she wanted. Everyone including the children of the town were taught that if she did have a ‘fit’ and was writhing on the ground, you had to put something on her tongue to stop her from swallowing it. Pretty scary when she is frothing at the mouth – but you did it. Writing this now, I am chuckling that she used it as a sort of weapon, but I remember witnessing her ‘fits’ – it was not a pleasant experience. I do not know if she had medication to regulate the problem, but if she did – obviously she would purposely miss the odd dose. hehehe! In a future Blog, perhaps I will talk about the ‘insane asylums’! Not a politically correct word today, but that is what they were called. And guess what, I came from a small town, but we had a couple of people in the Insane Asylums!!!

Brighton Beach Memoirs                                                                   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090774/
Iron Lung Machine – this may be disturbing to some people.

 

1 comment:

  1. You're right the video was a bit disturbing but interesting as well. I've always been interested in iron lungs for some reason. My stepfather was in a lung rehabilitation hospital when he died. A woman there was in an iron lung. She had been in it for 20 to 30 years. This was in 1974, so not the dark ages. I'm sure the lung was more modern then in the video. She had a braid that hung down to the floor, i'm not sure who braided it. She was about 50, I would guess, can you imagine being in one that many years?

    One of my aunts had polio at age 14 and was hospitalized for over a year totally paralyzed at first. I heard many times in my childhood the if not for Sister Kenny's techniques my aunt would never have walked again. She had trouble gripping things with her hands, but basically she lead a regular life, married, had kids, drove. I guess I am way too chatty today, lol.

    ReplyDelete