The newest entry is always at the top of the page


To read in the order that the entries were posted


START AT THE BOTTOM


Sunday, July 4, 2010

Where Did the Mountain Go?

I remember seeing a cartoon in the paper. It showed three little children jumping, running and laughing on a very small mound of earth. The father is looking very sad and disillusioned thinking of himself as a boy on this same small mound, but in his memory it was a huge hill. I am not sure who, if anyone is credited with the saying ‘you should never go back’, but I do know for me it was very true.

I had returned to a place where I spent my early years climbing a mountain, fording a raging river and hiking forever through a huge forest. Like the Dad in the comic, it saddened me, for as I walked over a small rise, jumped a 3 foot wide stream, and cut through a small group of trees - for the life of me I could not find the mountain, river or forest. If I had not gone back, that raging river would still be flowing and the forest would have grown even bigger.

The other mountains that I played on, I am sure are still there, but I am ‘never going back’ to check on them, for fear that they too, may have disappeared leaving a small mound in their place.

No comments:

Post a Comment