The newest entry is always at the top of the page


To read in the order that the entries were posted


START AT THE BOTTOM


Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Run Davie Run - Halloween

I was 14 years old when I found out that I was actually a fast runner. At that time when I played any sport, even if I did not exert myself or run very much, I would get terrible pain in my legs. As an adult, because of a couple of muscles on one side of my body having developed slightly less than the other side, doctors figured I may have had a touch of polio. Because of the pain, I did not run very often, and when I did – never ‘full out’. Hence, in any race, etc, I was usually last, and in my mind was a slow runner. I think motivation can push people to become better at most things! Visualize a house with no other homes within 100 yards in any direction, no yard lights, and the owner of the house having the reputation of ‘skinning kids alive’! I have no idea what we were planning to do to this persons property (as a trick), but being Halloween - just think of the reputation we would get for ‘being brave enough to do it".  So continuing to visualize, three of us, me, another 1 year older and the third 3 years older than I – sneaking up on this house. When we got fairly close a loud booming voice broke the silence –   'Who’s there?'  We immediately started to run, and as I had often feared, with every step I was being left further behind. Once more this voice “Stop” (panting, damn he is going to catch me – my companions are leaving me so far behind – come on legs, move). On a crisp, cool night, sound seems to be louder than normal – not sure how you visualize a sound… but try a shot gun! Remember the mention of motivation? I passed the first of my friends in about 5 seconds and the second within 10 – and from there, they were history. I am sure the person did not fire ‘at’ us, but in a way I should thank him for teaching me about motivation, and how in later years in the military, I actually ran in relay races, always with the thought of someone behind me with a shot gun shouting – Stop!



No comments:

Post a Comment